[PLUG] Sharing of Swap Space

Mandar Vaze mandarvaze at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 09:36:16 IST 2009

Hi,
On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 6:19 PM, Prasenjit Giri <tangyorangesour at gmail.com>wrote:

> besides setting up partition why is it advisable to mount various dirs
> as etc, var, root, home on different partition ?
>
> if i happen to use a single hard drive what good will it bring me.

I also had the same problem myself. So essentially I have been making just
two partitions "swap" and "/", everything else is just a directory under "/"
Thanks म हा सा ग र  for the link. To summarize the relevant text from the
document :

<snip>
Putting “/tmp” and “/home” on separate partitions is pretty much mandatory
if users have shell
access to the server (protection against SUID programs), splitting these off
into separate
partitions also prevent users from filling up any critical file system
(denial of service attack),
putting “/var”, and “/usr” on separate partitions is also a very good idea.
By isolating the “/var”
partition, you protect your root partition from overfilling (denial of
service attack).
</snip>

Based on this, I think for personal machine, which isn't a server or on the
public network, having all /home, /var /tmp on single partition should be
OK. If you have multiple physical disks, putting "/home"on separate "disk"
makes sense.

I would like to hear comments from others on this, specifically in the
context of " Standalone, Desktop Linux"

-Mandar