[PLUG] Question: NTFS partition recovery through Linux

Pranav Peshwe pranavpeshwe at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 10:38:53 IST 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 8:11 AM, Ameya Rahane <ichbinfes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings to all!
> I have a dual-boot laptop running Windows XP and Intrepid, well I had
> it that way until yesterday. I formatted the whole hard drive, and
> installed Ubuntu 9.04 on it, and created partitions for root (/),
> /home and the remaining space as an ext4 partition for all other
> files. Later on I came to know that my sister had stored some files on
> the windows drive, which was previously NTFS but now is in EXT4 area.
> My problem is that I need to recover the files.
>
> I know I can do a partition table recovery from Windows, through
> various softwares, and with ease.

Hi Ameya,
                 Can you please share with us names of software with which
you say data, in your case, can be recovered with ease.

In some cases, data is so important that one does not mind using non-free
(in either sense) software to recover it. With you sharing, somebody on this
list might just find the right software to get their priceless data back.

Hope i'm not violating the spirit of the list.

My questions is, is there any
> software for Linux (preferably Debian based) that does the same job?

testdisk and photorec are the ones I know. I'm not sure whether they are
readily available as debs, be ready to compile from source :)
There are quite a few howtos on the net for data/partition recovery using
linux.

HTH.

Best regards,
Pranav