[PLUG] Visual diff and patch tool

Chetan S cshring at gmail.com
Mon May 25 09:30:45 IST 2009

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 7:46 PM, Devendra Laulkar
<devendralaulkar at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know how people manage their diff's and patches.
>
> Short question :- Is there a tool which allows a developer to take a file and a patch, and selectively copy chunks of code.
>
> Longer version :- I have got a patch from a developer for a small project that I work on. However, the patch is for an older version, so it does not get applied correctly. Also, I need to make some changes in some parts of the code.
>
> Any comments / suggestions appreciated.
>
> TIA,
> -Devendra Laulkar

There is a very very useful package  patchutils which allows exactly
that -- splitting, splicing, con-catenating , mixing (!) of patches .
All of what you have stated can be done very very easily via these cli
tools. If you are using ubuntu / debian it should be in the repos
already.

regards,