[PLUG] Unable to Access Internet on Newly Installed Ubuntu 10.04

Abhijit Bhopatkar bain at devslashzero.com
Tue Aug 10 10:05:20 IST 2010

On Monday 09 August 2010 11:08 PM, Mithun Shitole wrote:
> On Monday 09 August 2010 03:40 PM, Akshay N. Manke wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>>    I have installed Ubuntu 10.04 and trying to configure Static IP to
>> use
>> internet through BSNL Broadband, but i am not able to configure
>> Gateway. I
>> am able to ping any other machine in our network because static IP and
>> Subnet it has taken but not able to access Internet because of gateway.
>>
>>    I have tried to search on the internet and also got some ways to
>> change
>> the IP from dynamic to Static by editing the /etc/network/interfaces
>> file
>> but it is showing *Read Only* file or by configuring network interface
>> through *Preferences>  Network Connections* but it is not allowing me to
>> change the gateway.
>>
> you can do $sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
>
> Add code similar to following. ( change entries where appropriate,
> make sure about eth0 by issuing command $ ifconfig  )
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
> address 10.2.2.100
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> gateway 10.0.0.1
>
> You can exit by doing Ctrl-X and then y.
I wouldn't do that, since network manager now handles things in a much
better way.
Here is what you do,

Make sure your interfaces file is clean, remove all entires you have added.
By default the files looks like following two lines
--
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

then do
sudo service network-manager restart

right click on the nm applet icon (in the indicator applet on gnome
desktop) and click on "edit  connections"

Assuming you are using ethernet device click "Add" on "Wired" tab.

Fill out fields in "IPv4" tab
Method: Manual (for static ip)
ip/netmask/gateway triplex: by clicking on add button (little weird
interface, click add first and then the fields become editable)
DNS servers: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 ( :) google dns addresses change to
your own taste)

Optional: click on connect automatically and change the name of the
settings in top edit box to your liking

and click apply and close the "Network connection" window.

Now if you left click on the nm applet, you should see the connection
with name you gave under "available" section. click on it and it should
bring up the interface.
If you have clicked on connect automatically then it will be brought up
on every boot.

BAIN