[PLUG] What are the most viable backup options for linux

Sudhanwa Jogalekar sudhanwa.com at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 00:04:01 IST 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 12:31 AM, Chaitannya Mahatme
<chaitannya at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I wanted to install an automatic backup and restore for my laptop. I wanted
> a solution which would take incremental backup of my primary partition every
> week or so.
> In case of disk failure I should be able to use a live cd and restore the
> disk in last good condition ?

I think your requirement will be fulfilled (at least partially) if you
use Mandriva. It has a built in tool for backups that can take
snapshots and store in a folder you specify.

You can find out the actual tool used there and use the same in your distro.

HTH
-Sudhanwa

> I found PING <http://ping.windowsdream.com/>, which is very similar to what
> I am looking for. An suggestions on that? BTW it does not have automatic
> backup, only lacuna.
>
> Cheers !!!
> Chaitannya

www.sudhanwa.com