[PLUG] Government Sponsored Vendor lock

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Thu Jul 29 11:00:55 IST 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 10:45:07AM +0530, Amarendra Godbole wrote:
> when we have correct and working systems. As a parent, I care a hoot
> about the OS that runs the online admission portal - as long as my job
> is done, I am fine with it.

Exactly. My point too was that. OS is immaterial, at least at this stage,
- whether of the online server or the client people use. First insistence
should be not on any OS or even application but on inter-operability.

Once "works only on X" culture fades the benefits of FOSS will at least be
listened to by people.

Other day while I was in a mobile shop, the salesman was trying to sell a
Linux based phone to a customer. "This uses Linux", the sales guy said
very assertively. (BTW that assertiveness was in itself a surprise to my
ears.) A not-so-surprising question shot back "Woh kya hota hai?". Our
assertive sales person started fumbling after that like "err... it runs
multiple tasks .. etc." and quickly turned to other phone without even
waiting for customer's reaction.

I am yet to figure out what I would have been able to say, if I was in
place of that salesman. Of course many things. But how many in a manner
that would have appealed to "Woh kya hota hai" guy?..

Agree with rest of the views <snipped>.

Mayuresh.