[PLUG] Government Sponsored Vendor lock

Shridhar Daithankar ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Thu Jul 29 11:21:49 IST 2010

On Thursday 29 July 2010 10:45:07 Amarendra Godbole wrote:

> There are other problems - most of the h/w vendors in India have no

you mean corporate assemblers?

> policy to refund license cost if you decide not to have Microsoft
> software on the machines. In US and most of the EU nations, you can
> refuse and get the license cost back (~100 Euro, for eg.). No such
> rules exist for Indian sales. So you don't even realize that the
> software cost is bundled with the h/w!

I have not seen refund available on anything here, whatever the reason be. So
thats a nonstarter. but the argument of bundling cost holds.

nonetheless many laptops are sold with freedos or linux to save the
cost/appear to be cheaper, which dealer offers to format with windows as a in-
house service. same difference.

and it is certainly heartening to know that after-sales support for linux as
almost *as good* as with windows ;), for a subjective definition of good.

--
Regards
 Shridhar