[PLUG] Practical shell Implementation of the login command.

Amarendra Godbole amarendra.godbole at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 21:51:48 IST 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Kaustubh Gadkari
<kaustubh.gadkari at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Thank you for the information. I am using RHEL5.4. I did not find your given information in _man 1 login_.  Which manual page did you consult?
>>

> Ubuntu 10.04 LTS server. I would have expected man page parity between
> distributions, but this seems to not be the case. I checked man login
> on a Centos 5.4 machine and it is very different from the ubuntu man
> page.
[...]

Linux developers are busy adding features, but forget to keep the man
pages accurate. This has been the case for a decade, and sadly nothing
has improved. Man pages are changed randomly, and many times are
inaccurate. :-/

I have moved over to the OpenBSD land, and things are 100% better -
maintaining man page accuracy is one of the primary aim of the group.

-Amarendra