[PLUG] ITR e-filing on Linux

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Thu Jun 3 19:09:41 IST 2010

On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 10:13:05AM +0200, Swapnil Bhartiya wrote:
> I am picking up this story for Muktware.com, I am not sure if LINUX For You
> will be interested in such stories. Any contacts/email ID of the department
> heads are available? Being based out of Germany, I can't approach them as I
> used to from India.

An email ID is available on the same website that you have posted under
Contacts. But unlikely that they will respond on this.

I think more than officials, it's the Govt  that needs to be interested in
this for this to happen. The questions should somehow reach the ministries
or some political parties. Incidentally, some parties in India showed
interest in promoting FOSS in Govt in their manifestos.

Also, not sure whether such questions could fall under RTI.

> This is my set of questions for them, inputs welcome.
> <snip>

Quite precisely phrased.

The recipients of these questions may not be fully aware of
technicalities. A few points that need to reach them, for them to look at
it positively are:

1. Firstly it's not a big deal for them. It's not that they need to
re-develop things from scratch to work with FOSS platforms. The IT effort
won't be very big if at all any porting effort is required.

2. Secondly, it's not going to deprive existing users on Windows of
anything whatsoever. Neither that the Dept will have to maintain two
different pieces of systems - one for existing users and one for FOSS
users. Reach of e-filing platform will only increase with this.

3. Licensing cost savings. Actually this should be an important point. But
it's more from the people's point of view. From the Dept's point of view
it's not their problem as long as they are making things for most commonly
used platforms. They'll be bothered more if at all about above concerns.

Mayuresh.