[PLUG] Tablet/Netbook - Advice/User experience

Vikas Damodar Garud vikas at techqual.com
Tue Jun 29 15:22:14 IST 2010

Hi,

I am looking for netbook/tablet PC.  I need dual boot with Linux (any
distribution, with preferably KDE) and Windows (anything from XP to 7).
Pretty routine use.  Under Linux - Some word processing, presentations,
surfing, email and experimenting with statistical analysis - that is
usually possible with spreadsheets (Gnumeric, MS Excel with statistical
Analysis Tool Pack; Open Office is rather limited in this area) and R
with some GUI.  Use of Windows will be limited at some client place (I'm
consultant in Quality Management) for Minitab, SigmaXL  and Simular
(Statistical Add on softwares on MS Excel).

Looking through various models, I found two options:  Asus Eee PC T91MT
and Lenovo S10-3T.  Linux support (including wifi and touch screen) for
Asus is fairly well documented while that for Lenovo is sketchy, but
apparently doable.

Anybody here has any experience in using Linux (including WiFi and Touch
screen) on any of these netbooks?  Any points that I should keep in mind
before making the selection?  Any peculiarities for Dual boot?  Any bit
of information is appreciated.

Thanks
Vikas Garud