[PLUG] [plug] Foss

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Mon Mar 1 19:35:54 IST 2010

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 09:18:30PM +0530, Arun Khan wrote:
> Fair enough and I agree but the *scary* part is that a whole
> generation of SMS speak is coming into the work force and their
> dialect is creeping into business correspondence - to their managers
> and associates.  Many cannot write a full coherent sentence; makes one
> wonder how/what do they write in their exam papers :)
>
> -- Arun Khan

Very rightly said. The trend is definitely horrifying. Not sure what it
has to do with time-line, though this is seen mostly over last 3/4 years.
Most people have difficulty speaking even near correct English. The
mistakes of singular-plural and which form of the verb goes with each are
very common.

"Creeping in" are really very apt words. One may be a little tolerant to
mistakes of new comers and ignore them, but the same people become
managers tomorrow and weaken the band of tolerance further to their new
comers. Thus, overall quality of language used in a work group keeps going
down over time rapidly.

The effect has started being seen now at places where you would definitely
expect correct English (rather correct language - whichever it may be)
such as announcers at various functions, official communications you get
from various service providers, customer service you get to speak with for
various services etc.

An aside: There is a famous title "Eats, Shoots & Leaves - Lynne Truss"
which in a humourous style points out what chaos breaking of language
grammar rules may cause.

Mayuresh.