[PLUG] [Dumb Question] Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) Shutdown shortcut

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Sun Mar 7 00:49:17 IST 2010

On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 12:18:07AM +0530, Udayraj wrote:
> I always prefer keyboard shortcuts over mouse. In previous releases of
> Ubuntu I could shut down system using Alt+F1 and system -> shutdown.
> Now I don't find the option under System menu. I now use gnomedo and

I feel it's nice to define keyboard shortcuts of your own. Even if you
change the distro version or the distro itself or just the window manager
you can carry your shortcuts to the next by setting them up once.

An aside: if you are a keyboard fan, try ratpoison window manager. Besides
being more keyboard oriented, what I like about it is, it has non
overlapping windows, no controls like minimize, maximize etc. Every window
(except pop ups) occupies the full screen - like a kiosk mode. (E.g. you
can imagine xterm would look like console in this.) There are ways to
split a screen to let more than 1 windows fit on one screen if you want to
view 2 applications simultaneously. Besides, it's highly configurable, has
a very small size and memory footprint.

Mayuresh