[PLUG] Support for Ext1 File System

Kaustubh Gadkari kaustubh.gadkari at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 21:32:00 IST 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Devendra Laulkar
<devendralaulkar at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I just wanted to check wheather any linux distro currently
>> in market uses
>> ext1.
>
> I think ext1 (which was known just as the Extended File System) was implemented as a proof of concept. It never made it into production. Check out an OS book or the ext fs website.

AFAIK, ext was included in very early kernel versions in 1992 (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext2). ext2 superseded ext in 1993.
Seeing as how old the ext code is, I think it very unlikely that any
modern distro. will support it out of the box. You may be able to add
support through a kernel module .. I am not sure though.

Kaustubh

--
Kaustubh Gadkari
kaustubh [dot] gadkari [at] gmail [dot] com