[PLUG] best strategy for backing up small server

Mithun Shitole mithunit at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 12:09:29 IST 2010

On Friday 15 October 2010 08:43 AM, Pranav Peshwe wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 7:55 AM, Manas Alekar <manas_alekar at yahoo.com>wrote:
>
>>>    I have a small ubuntu server running for our development needs  as
>>
>>> well as file server. We are now considering to upgrade it with  ubuntu
>>> 10.04 LTS.
>>
>> The first tenet of system administration is: if it ain't broken don't fix
>> it.
>>

> Absolutely!
> Mithun, if you wish, you can share why you are going for an upgrade. People
> here might be able to suggest better solutions.

The server was not properly setup, no proper data separation for easy
backing up, no redundancy (Raid), and It was running Jaunty. My
knowledge for the server setup at that time was very limited. Although
those problems can be fixed without upgrading to lucid, right now I have
some time to make things right, create some policies and use an LTS so
that I will not have to upgrade it frequently.

>>> We do not have any automatic backup system for now. I want  to
>>> add something like RAID 1 for backing up data. Can anyone suggest  best
>>> practices? Should I use and extra internal hard disk or external  hard
>>> disk? Is is possible to use fallback hard drive of bigger size and  use
>>> extra space for other purposes, such as storing non critical data?
>>> Any  pointers to good information?
>>
>> RAID1 improves robustness. It is not a substitute for backup. Why you say?
>> Because hardware failure is not the only cause of losing data.
>>
> Thumb rules? Slower disks are more reliable and that is why they are
>> preferred for backup. In places where access to server rooms cannot be
>> controlled, access to drawers can still be.
>>

> Personally, I do not consider a backup a backup, unless it is on WORM media.
> Unexpected power problems among other things can completely ruin harddisks
> in a jiffy. Critical data should be backed up on indestructible(via software
> I mean :)) media IMHO.

Thank you very much everyone for your valuable suggestions. I have
decided for the following setup:

- Software RAID 1 with two hard drives
- Regular backup of critical data to DVD

--
Mithun