[PLUG] Back to SquareOne

म.हा.सा.ग.र o.s.h.o at guruvision.com
Wed Oct 20 18:43:25 IST 2010

2010/10/11 म.हा.सा.ग.र <o.s.h.o at guruvision.com>:
> Now on Slackware 13.1 after a gap of 14++ years.
>
> Got it running in first go except the LILO...
>
> Hmm... still remember few things and have managed to forget most of
> the important ones...

Fixed LILO problem and few other hiccups that came with my choice of things.

Faced with difficulties of getting few things up and running as the
way self is used to experience in Mandriva...

1. Networking and network profiles
2. Openoffice

and possibly few other things that I have quickly forgotten to
remember, I switch back to Mandriva thereafter in next 2 days.

With this clean install of Mandriva, the problems I was facing with
upgrade of Mandriva also went away.

So Mandriva upgrade is still not as clean as it should be (I am
tempted to use the name(s) of some other OS)

One interesting & clean upgrade process I have had a chance to observe
was that of CentOS (Actually SME server).

Overall Slackware is much much improved than the way I used it years
ago but there is still a lot of margin for improvement when I compare
it with the user experience of Mandriva :-)

Maybe, maybe I am too old and really attuned to the way of thinking of
Mandriva habits to quickly accept Slackware's way of working...
however I have for now kept my option of switching to Slackware open
with the fingers crossed, though I have switched back to Mandiva.

--
"A point of view also contains within another point of view!"
                                -- adapted from a wise saying of