[PLUG] [OT] Getting wireless data plan w/o having to buy modem

Vikas Damodar Garud vikas at techqual.com
Sat Sep 25 22:15:47 IST 2010

On Saturday 25 September 2010 18:44:53 Mayuresh wrote:
> There are a no of carriers offering mobile internet right now.
>
> Most data plans seem to require buying their modem aka data card.
>
> However, I wonder, if you have a handset compatible with the
>  technology their data network uses, why should they be forcing
>  buying a modem.

SNIP

> Has anyone managed to get BSNL 3G data plan without buying their
>  modem or knows anything about any technical or commercial
>  feasibility/in-feasibility of the same? If yes, could you share some
>  details or any particular BSNL office or officer I could contact
>  with this query? (Have already tried a few offices.)

Following points from BSNL 3G FAQ link
(http://www.bsnl.in/faq/faqans.php?paramCategory=3G%20Mobile%20Services)
may be relevant:

FAQ No. 31:

31
What are the requirements for mobile broadband ?

You will be able to enjoy High speed internet and data service even
while on the move. You require a 3G handset and subscription for 3G
services to use mobile broadband on your handset. In case, you want to
connect your laptop or PDA (personal digital assistant) to 3G network,
like while moving in a vehicle, you will require to connect your 3G
handset to the computer through data cable, infrared or blue tooth. You
may also buy a 3G data card and use the same with your computer to
access high speed 3G network.

FAQ No.

34
Can I get 3G broadband without plugging a USB modem or data card ?

Yes, 3G broadband can be accessed through Handset supporting 3G.

"Which particular BSNL office is aware of this information?" is BIG
question!

HTH

Vikas Garud