[PLUG] [OT] Getting wireless data plan w/o having to buy modem

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Mon Sep 27 19:38:23 IST 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 10:57:35AM +0530, Vaibhav Dalvi wrote:

> I had the (Dis)pleasure to test BSNL's 3G USB Modem on Linux. The model we
> had came with Linux drivers but they were available for Ubuntu's till 9.04.

Thanks for the feedback. I think at present it's just the TINA (there is
no alternative) factor that is in favor of BSNL. Also, their trial packs
are reasonably priced so one can try and decide.

BTW, I tried Idea's net setter plan, too. The modem that came with it
worked fine on Linux. (Fedora 13 I have, which is not officially listed as
supported). I could also use mobile phone as a modem by putting this card
in the phone.

Overall, Idea were much clearer, quicker and up-front in dealings than
BSNL, with whom I am still struggling to buy a SIM card. Idea's network,
too, worked reliably. Only problem is it would work at only EDGE speeds as
of now i.e. till they launch 3G. 60 to 100 kbps practically - YMMV.

Mayuresh.