[PLUG] [Event report] Introduction to Python: Maharashtra Institute of Technology, Pune, India

arun tomar tomar.arun at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 12:19:49 IST 2011

On Sat, 2011-08-13 at 11:39 +0530, Parag Shah wrote:

> > This is great. I think spreading Python amongst students is a great goal.
> >

> I too agree - spreading Python among students is a very good goal.
>
> I have frequently taught Java to students, and I have always felt that there
> are way too many things that need to be done in Java, to write simple
> programs. This takes the focus away from programming - to learning all the
> incidental things that need to be done (even to write basic programs).
>
> A typical 10 week semester, falls way short of doing any serious
> programming.
>
> The basic concepts of Python can be grasped very soon, and we can then focus
> on how to use programs to solve problems, good programming practices, etc.

I think focus should on faculties as well. I'm a visiting faculty to
Sinhagad & Bharti Vidyapeeth for Linux. Last year, i conducted 3 day
session on Basic Linux for "Train the faculties" program organised by
SIMCA (Sinhagad institute of management & computer applications.)

The program was that colleges all over Maharashtra will nominate 2-3
faculties for this program. The faculties were given subject choices for
the sessions, and surprisingly Linux was one of the most opted
choices.

I was amazed to see that there were approx 50 engineering college
faculties in my session, some of whom have travelled for 6 hrs just to
reach the venue.

Their motivation was that they were curious to know more about Linux but
didn't knew where to start. Once i introduced them to the world of Open
source technologies (python, perl, ruby, php),Linux, ideologies, and
motivation behind it, they were hooked, surprised & amazed.

Everyone became confident & promised that they'll spread the message &
ideals of Open source technolgies amoung their students. Faculties are
the one, who are with the student's all year round. So if they are
knowledgable, motivated & aware of these things, then certainly that
knowledge will be passed on to the students as well.

And that's, what i think will make all the difference & impact needed.

Regards,
Arun Tomar
CEO, Solution Enterprises
www.solutionenterprises.co.in