[PLUG] ARM cross-compiling issues

Koustubh Sinkar ksinkar at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 16:25:13 IST 2011

Namaskar:

I have only used the Keil compiler for arm development before. Now I
am trying to use the arm-gcc.

I got this BlinkingLed program with my Olimex development board. I
have been trying to compile it with the arm-gcc cross compiler from
codesourcery as well as the one provided by redhat. The zip file which
contains the sources as well as the errors for
their respective compilations can be found here:-

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B36jlLaq9jMFMzMwMWQ5YTctZTk0YS00ZDdmLTgzMGYtYmY0ZjJiYWNkZWE3&hl=en_GB&authkey=CMvi2JgJ

I can't make head or tail of the error
messages thrown by the redhat cross-compiler. Please help me debug.

Also I want to cross compile the Linux Kernel for ARM. I downloaded
the source from kernel.org (2.6.36).

i did the following changes
ARCH?=arm
CROSS_COMPILE   ?= armv5tel-redhat-linux-gnueabi-

I got this error while compiling the kernel for ARM after running make
with only these modifications in the Makefile

In file included from drivers/block/cciss.c:379:
drivers/block/cciss_scsi.c: In function ‘scsi_cmd_stack_setup’:
drivers/block/cciss_scsi.c:218: error: negative width in bit-field
‘<anonymous>’
drivers/block/cciss.c: In function ‘cciss_init’:
drivers/block/cciss.c:4947: error: negative width in bit-field ‘<anonymous>’
make[2]: *** [drivers/block/cciss.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [drivers/block] Error 2
make: *** [drivers] Error 2

My Host Platform is Fedora 11 i386.

Are there no other precautions to be taken while cross compilation???

Regards,
Koustubh SInkar
कौस्तुभ सिनकर