[PLUG] Anyone using / can advise on FreeBSD/NetBSD?

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Mon Jul 18 21:17:54 IST 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 08:44:50PM +0530, Arun Khan wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Mayuresh <mayuresh at acm.org> wrote:

> > Hmm... Attractive enough.. Will give it a try when time permits. Would
> > have all 3 BSDs + 1 Linux with me by then...
> >

> While you are in the *BSD mood, give DragonFlyBSD a shot.  I came
> across it in a CentOS discussion thread about "large file systems"
> with HammerFS.   No personal experience with it.

I went through their homepage. File system could be an advantage. But for
desktop? Don't know (especially as compared to ext3/4).

What pleases me as a user is effective use of CPU to achieve higher
efficiency and a minimalist no-bloat approach to installation, services
etc.

BSDs I saw till now are good in the latter, though Linux fared better on
efficiency so far for me including file system efficiency.

About trying this one out .. well.. why not.. whenever time permits.

Mayuresh.