[PLUG] Anyone using / can advise on FreeBSD/NetBSD?

Amarendra Godbole amarendra.godbole at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 07:14:02 IST 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 9:17 PM, Mayuresh <mayuresh at acm.org> wrote:
[...]
> What pleases me as a user is effective use of CPU to achieve higher
> efficiency and a minimalist no-bloat approach to installation, services
> etc.
>
> BSDs I saw till now are good in the latter, though Linux fared better on
> efficiency so far for me including file system efficiency.
[...]

What good is efficiency when it sacrifices stability and reliability?
I find Linux code to be bloated, untested, and added at whim of a
developer or two who has/have clout. All Linux h/w drivers are
typically "blobs" - written by the device manufacturer, and used
"as-is". I doubt if a serious scrutiny of these happens, since Linux
requires to support all known h/w to mankind in its race to world
domination.

Please note this is not a Linux bashing thread on a Linux group -- I
am merely pointing out technical de-merits of Linux in comparison to
BSD.

-Amarendra