[PLUG] Alternative to skype

Ghodechhap ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Tue Jun 7 09:24:05 IST 2011

On Tuesday 07 June 2011 08:40:36 Gaurav Pant wrote:
> As we all know something happened to skype... (overtaken by someone)
> so now what other alternatives do we have for the same?

What are the requirements?

- pc to pc calling
- voip to pstn calling
- video chat
- work with all the network topologies and configuration, behind the firewall
etc.
- must be easy to set up
- must work with windows
- bonus points if it is part of bigger service offerings

Following could be alternatives

- sip, clients are plentiful on all platforms but there is no central
registry, something where "skype the brand" succeeds

- google voice chat, I hear it works on browser now, but kopete still does not
support it, some more integration is required

- anything else?

--
Regards
 Shridhar