[PLUG] Question about companies and open source applications

Nikhil Karkare nikhil.karkare at myshala.com
Mon May 2 12:07:16 IST 2011

Hi,
I am part of a school, and keep meeting people who want to sell me software.
Here is a situation that I come across regularly.
I find people selling products based on Linux. I see them writing a
few lines of code, customizing Gnome or KDE a bit, and using the rest
for free from the Linux world.
By apps I mean GCompris. These guys use gcompris apps, and don't
mention anywhere that the apps are from GCompris. Plus, they don't
even mention that they use Linux as an operating system! They say that
they have no problems of viruses, no problem in virtualization. Is it
some groundbreaking OS that has been written from scratch? I don't
think so. Why don't they mention that they run Linux and use open
source apps? Aren't they liable to do that?

More than liability, I feel sad that since most schools don't know
about Linux and GCompris, they are sold out on this. Linux and
GCompris don't get the recognition that they deserve.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Regards,
Nikhil.

Nikhil Karkare
Co-Ordinator