[PLUG] [Commercial] Setting up a computing lab using Linux and FOSS

Coriolis Technologies coriolis.technologies at coriolis.co.in
Wed May 4 14:45:06 IST 2011

Hi

   Colama, a VDI backed and thin client enabled solution was specifically
designed with the University environment in mind and will address your
stated requirements.

Colama

    - allows you to define (control) the environment (OS/Apps/networking)
your student/user sees,

    - ensures that every student/user is provided with exactly that
(compliance),

    - can be managed with surprisingly little training,

    - can reset machines rendered unusable (due to experimentation or
malware/viruses) to a clean state in under a minute.

It is currently deployed at BIT-Ranchi (MESRA), PICT-Pune for regular
[engineering] college work and at IISc-B'lore for some niche use case.

While it leverages FOSS, Colama is neither free, nor open source. The
software licenses are however free for rural/municipal schools.

We certainly prefer to work with thin clients, but can also equally easily
leverage existing (old) PCs as terminals, thus protecting your existing
investments.

If interested, please check out http://www.colama.net/handouts for more
details.

Please feel free to contact colama at coriolis.co.in for any further queries.