[PLUG] Question about companies and open source applications

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Sun May 8 11:52:49 IST 2011

On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Mayuresh <mayuresh at acm.org> wrote:

> Many schools and institutes do not even know how much they stand to save
> by adopting FOSS. With fee hikes becoming a regular issue, an eye opener
> is needed for school runners.

When it comes to institutions I'd hesitate to put forth 'cost savings'
as the only value derived by moving to a FOSS stack. In real life, it
is somewhat easy for any vendor to juggle around prices via discounts
and render 'free' quite irrelevant as a value.

Institutes and more importantly, the faculty and the folks within the
institutes adopting FOSS should make it a point to discuss the culture
of collaboration and learning via looking that is enabled by a FOSS
stack. And, that the culture of collaboration is not limited to
software but should be visible across other parts and activities of
the institute - magazines, coding and similar contests, technical
workshops and so forth.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog/>