[PLUG] Question about companies and open source applications

satyaakam goswami satyaakam at gmail.com
Sun May 8 22:35:25 IST 2011

On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 9:17 AM, Amarendra Godbole <
amarendra.godbole at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 7:42 AM, Nikhil Karkare <nkarkare at gmail.com> wrote:
> > No. I did not buy the product. I already have the biggest Linux
> deployment
> > amongst schools, with GCompris installed. I don't think talking will help
> > much, but worth a try.
> > Should I make a list of companies who do this? Maybe make a blacklist
> which
> > is publicly available?
> [...]

lets not get into the blacklist etc mode its  confrontational  , i would
take a much milder approcah as in lets have all the people with these kind
of products which they have bought or someone in there circle has bought ,
we can educate the companies rather than confront, i think this approcah
should work most of the time . yes we can  start listing companies name and
products which you think are not in complicance.

> Your approach suggests you to be under 30, with a lot of real-world
> inexperience. If you have a large amount of money in your account, and
> are capable of facing legal music, you can make a public list, and
> shout from the rooftop about how evil these companies are. All those
> people who are encouraging you on the list will run away at the drop
> of a hat, if it comes to the court of law.

lets not get personal and get to the op's point here , how can you predict
about others?

> IMHO, best option to use and adopt Linux, is appreciate the goodies it
> provides, and use them while keeping the legalities to the
> foss-legal-eagles. And you asking about freedom? Well, you have to
> look at the BSD license then.
>
> My personal, skewed, but real-world opinion.

i agree to your  not so skewed opinion , if we are not brigining to legals
notice then who can  ? yes we may have some false positives but in the
process we will set a precident for others to follow as to how to approach
these kind of issues .

imho i  think it is an important enough as part of  community somebody has
to raise the voice to begin the process .

-Satya