[PLUG] MeeGo community unhappy about yet another abadoning

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 13:22:43 IST 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Amarendra Godbole
<amarendra.godbole at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 8:18 AM, Mayuresh <mayuresh at acm.org> wrote:
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTAwMzE
>>
>> How long does it go on - creating a flavor, abandoning before seeing light
>> of the day, merge it with another and repeat the cycle...
>>
>> Surely does affect the moral of the core developers.
> [...]
>
> Agree. Sadly, this behavior has become a norm than exception. Intel
> does not have a stellar reputation when it comes to "supporting" open
> source, as is pointed out by Theo in 2006 (and then many times later
> as well): http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20060930232710
> (Intel only "open" for business).

The MNC's interest is in the money.  At open source
conventions/conferences,  I have heard the big honchos give RaRa
keynotes  and gotten the exact opposite reception when I contact the
respective technical support lines.  Even on server hardware, they
entertain onlyh if you report the problem using the commercial
versions of Linux distros.

IIRC, AMD had said that it would open source it's graphics cards specs
when ATI was M&A'd.  It has yet to happen, to get visual efffects and
performance out of radeon cards one has to install their BLOB drivers.

-- Arun Khan