[PLUG] Software Freedom Day

Shahid Farooqui shahidfarooqui at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 19:51:59 IST 2011

Dear FOSS enthusiast

This Saturday (17th September) is the Software Freedom Day across the
world. We at IIT Bombay are celebrating in commemoration of this day
at the following venue:

 Victor Menezes Convention Center (VMCC) Ground floor
 Time: 10am to 4:30pm
 Date: Saturday, 17th September

We invite you to propose topics for "Lightning Talks", for proposing
problems and their solutions, and for putting up a stall on that day.
Please use http://fossee.in/sfd2011#contact for
proposing these (before Friday 12noon).  Please read below for further details..

Following is the tentative plan for the day:
(Please see http://www.fossee.in/sfd2011 for updates.)

  10:00 - 10:30 -- Inauguration by chief guest
  10:30 - 11:15 -- Talk by P. Asokan : Benefits of FOSS
  11:15 - 11:30 -- Break
  11:30 - 12:15 -- Talk by Madhu Belur : FOSSEE project activities
  12:15 - 1:00  -- Quiz
   1:00 - 2:00  -- Lunch
   2:00 - 3:30  -- Lightning talks (see below)
   3:30 - 3:45  -- Prize distribution
   3:45 - 4:30  -- Birds of feathers

On this occasion, we plan to have a "hackathon" (from 10am to 4pm that
day) exercise on problems listed in
http://www.fossee.in/sfd2011#hackathon
which has information about prizes and deadlines.

Lightning talks are short presentations made in 15 minutes. Example of
a lightning talk is
   1. How to book Tatkal tickets on irctc.co.in using Firefox Autofill plugin
   2. Introduction to web mining
   3. "Hello World" in Android

Please use http://fossee.in/sfd2011#contact for submitting your gist
in the *Comment* column (before 12noon, Friday). We will try to
accomodate all.
In any case we will get back to you through email by 9pm on Friday
regarding with the selection of the talks.

There will be stalls showcasing open-source software/hardware exhibits.
(Please write to us if you want to participate and showcase any
exhibit of yours.)

   Spoken tutorial on LaTeX/Linux,
   SBHS,
   Robotics with Arduino, E-Yantra and many more
   Xcos
   Treelabs
   Stellarium

Visit http://www.fossee.in/sfd2011#stalls for more information of
stalls and to propose your stall.  Please use
http://fossee.in/sfd2011#contact
for submitting gist of the stall in the *Comment* column (before
12noon, Friday). We will try to accommodate all. In any case we will
get back to you through email
by 9pm on Friday regarding with the selection of the talks.

Please send this email to any other relevant mailing lists and to friends.

FOSSEE team, (www.fossee.in, www.scilab.in and www.spoken-tutorial.org)
IIT Bombay