[PLUG] बेडियन फॉर नेटबुक्स...

मःसागरः o.s.h.o at guruvision.com
Sat Apr 14 08:49:34 IST 2012

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 8:11 AM, Praveen A <pravi.a at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/4/13 मःसागरः <o.s.h.o at guruvision.com>:
>> basically system installation leaves you in a lurch if you choose LILO
>> instead of GRUB as a boot loader, + there are many more issues e.g.
>
> Any specific reason for you to chose LILO over grub?

any specific purpose for which I should opt grub?

>> networking configuration / status indication is not as clean as I have
>> seen in Mandriva and then Mageia...
>
> How is it different? I guess all of them would be using network
> manager. But KDE would be doing it differently than GNOME.

netapplet in kde has much better, cleaner handling than anything else,
is what I have found out over last 3-4 years... even better than wicd.

>> openSUSE is a good suggestion, that I would definitely won't mind trying...
>>
>> The whole of debian is their own way discourages KDE... and making
>> everything work smoothly for GNOME, which to me looks like an unfair
>> game!  So to avoid blaming debian contributors I accept as shortcoming
>> of my choice i.e. KDE...
>
> No, debian does not discourage KDE. There is a separate installation
> disk that installs KDE by default. Try that.
> debian-6.0.4-i386-kde-CD-1.iso at
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.4/i386/iso-cd/ it is just
> alphabetical listing of files by apache and no debian fault in showing
> it below gnome :)

netbook amd64 (miscievously nicknamed "Am i Mad?") version... is what
i am after, will look at that location, but now it has may be at lower
priority... :-)

> There is no unfair game here, it may just be that there is not enough
> contributors working on KDE. In my experience KDE team is much better
> than GNOME team (KDE team gets new releases faster than GNOME, KDE
> releases are better coordinated and they come in one go, where as
> GNOME upgrades are broken most of the time and takes longer).

That is exactly the point, even the good did not work for me, so look
how bad it will get if I start using gnome... :-)

ubuntu handles gnome nicely, but then ubuntu is not debian :-)

ubuntu could correctly pick the display drive resolution, while debian
left me at lower resolution...
that is the point!