[PLUG] Help required in Localization

G Karunakar indlinux at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 20:40:21 IST 2012

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 2:32 PM, anand mattikopp <anand.matti at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on Hindi localization of an open source software. Since I'm new
> to this area, can some point me to good resource for translation. I've
> tried google/bing translation and babylon.com but these provide more of
> general translations and are not very technical. For example, "*Restart*"
> gets translhep is highly appreciated.

There is a standardized set of terminology for some languages see
https://fedorahosted.org/fuel/

an older set of terms which were used in gnome.
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-i18n/tree/glossary

What you could do, is pick up l10n files of gnome/kde projects for
specific language, and use that as translation memory with translation
tool like lokalize or pootle, po-edit. You will get rough set of ready
translations which need to be reviewed and cleaned up manually. If you
have some better translation to suggest for gnome/kde ones, you could
do that on relevant lists.

Karunakar