[PLUG] Help in compilation of a usable linux os

Sagar Padhye sgr.m.pdy at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 14:20:06 IST 2012

Hi,
I have been trying to compile my own linux. Guide which I am following is
Linux from scratch - http://www.linuxfromscratch.org (with some of my own
little changes). This is just for educational purpose of understanding
internals of the OS.

I am successful in compiling basic linux system i.e. bash command line with
vi, gcc and no internet (I have to figure out how to get IP from my ISP,
currently I have static IP in ifconfig.eth0).

I am going ahead with BLFS exercise and it is taking too much of time to
install more things like security packages, GTK and lots.

Ultimately my aim is to have any GUI (possibly gnome as I am used to it)
with internet working on it as early as possible.

I would like to know if anybody has done this before ? I need some king of
roadmap, which can help to decide the order of packages to be installed to
get my GUI up an working.

Thanks and Regards,
Sagar Padhye