[PLUG] Why I'm a Pirate!

Praveen A pravi.a at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 22:37:11 IST 2012

2012/1/26 म.हा.सा.ग.र <o.s.h.o at guruvision.com>:
> It usually is conscious decision made by an individual whether to use
> something or not when product of workmanship has reached him/her
> without him/her being directly aware of the antecedants of the
> ownership and/or roots of the product
>
> nobody can be immediately and expressly held responsible for such an
> action.  The possible remedial measures need to arrive first.
>
> So while propoganda machinery of Antipiracy Movement has their own
> reasons (survival) opponents also do have their own reasons... the

Survival? Are tou talking about a growing or suffering industry?

"If you were selling hotdogs and you started losing money, would you
continue selling hotdogs at a loss for 10 straight years? The reason I
ask is because I looked at some of the industries own numbers and it
baffles me. If online file-sharing is killing these industries, why
would they keep producing more content? And I'm sure someone is going
to pull out a study showing trends in per-capita spending adjusted for
inflation versus discretionary income per single-family residence that
shows the entertainment industry is in a bleak position, but that's
not what I'm after. If nobody is buying buggy-whips, you don't
increase production year after year. Yet over the last 10 years:

The number of movies released is up 23% - [1]
The number of books published is up 47% - [2]
The number of albums released is up 25% - [3]
The video games industry is up 23% - [4]"

from another comprehensive write up on this topic
https://www.insightcommunity.com/step2/311/why-i-pirate-an-open-letter-to-content-creators

--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍