[PLUG] Identifying DD-WRT build for Linksys WRT54GL

Sunil Beta Baskar betasam at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 06:15:25 IST 2012

On 14 July 2012 18:59, Mayuresh <mayuresh at acm.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 06:10:18PM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
> > Identifying the right build to flash is documented here - a highly
> > recommended thread called peacock thread:
> > http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
> >
> > IMHO the thread is terribly organized and I could figure out only this
> > much so far:

It's 3 years old, so that's your "proceed with caution" note.

> While there is a router database and recommended build at this page:
> http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database
>
> the above mentioned thread has written in all caps and bold "DON'T USE THE
> ROUTER DATABASE!" [sic].

I did try the router database while I flashed a WRT54GS to disable IPv6.
Right now flashing it shouldn't be *required* The subsequent Cisco WRT54
series (after LinkSys acquired them) uses a newer Broadcom chipset,
invalidating this database.

Try cold-booting and running for 4hrs (at least) with both #1 and #2 here:
1. Test-run the WRT54G without any *incoming* and only *outgoing*
Wireless/Wired connections
2. Test-run the WRT54G with only *incoming* and _no_ *outgoing*
Wireless/wired connections

> Now this is scary.
>
> Last time around I flashed DD-WRT f/w for the same router was about 5 or
> so years back and I don't think it was so much of hassle back then.

If it works in the above cases, you do not need the firmware upgrade.
Switch of SSID advertising. Change your SSID string to one you could easily
use.

If you have other WiFi routers nearby including mobile hotspots, please
switch to channels 4..7 (1..3 are used commonly.)

Cheerio!
Sunil Beta Baskar
--
PLUG