[PLUG] Gentoo / Arch / other : please advise

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Mon Jun 4 18:34:13 IST 2012

On Sat, Jun 02, 2012 at 08:42:48PM +0530, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

Thanks Shridhar and Prasanna.

I needed to do something desperately as my system was broken. I made the
same choice you suggested yesterday - Arch.

Installation was quick and smooth, though the system won't find root
partition on boot.

I tried fixing this by booting from cd and chrooting to mount properly,
though it ran into errors that required use of --force. So after a number
of such errors, I did a fresh install, this time by selecting all repos
remote. Still the problem continues.

This problem is faced by many ans solutions are suggested here (which did
not work for me):

Wonder, why such a serious problem remains unresolved for so long. The
installable CD is having release date of Aug 11 or so.

I was about to give up and switch to Gentoo, when I saw your mails and I
feel like giving Arch a further try now.

Thanks for your replies.

Mayuresh.