[PLUG] [event report] cloud computing at a rural college in maharashtra

Arun Tomar tomar.arun at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 13:05:45 IST 2012

Hi!

I conducted a 2 day event at a rural college "Samarth Group of
Institutes, College of Engineering" on 10th and 11th of march.

The purpose was to educate students on cloud technologies,
virtualization and linux, and various career opportunities associated
with them. The target audience were primarily students from the above
mentioned college and nearby colleges in that region. The college is
located in Belhe(Tal: Rajuri) on the Nasik road and takes around 3 hrs
to reach there from Pune.

Around 150 students attended Day1 and it's success was reflected on Day
2 when more than 200 students came to attend the event. Response was
amazing. Students were shy in the beginning but once we got them curious
& interested, lots of queries, questions were pouring in.

Topics covered:

Day 1
1. Introduction to cloud.
2. Technologies behind it.
3. Virtualization & Types of virutalization.
4. Linux and types of virtualization.
5. Career opportunities as a developer and system admin.

Day 2 :
1. Demo of linux installation.
2. Hands of linux installation.

Due to time constraint we could only cover the basics, and there is so
much more to share.

Last year, I conducted a 3 day event " Train the Teachers" in Sinhagad
institute (SIMCA) on "Introduction to linux" from various engineering
colleges in Maharashtra. It was attended by approx. 50 teachers, and the
response was amazing. And they promised that they'll be teaching their
students about linux and it's benefits :) .

I wish i could share more of my experience and expertise with other
teachers and students.

College: http://sreir.org/
Photos: http://www.linuxguy.in/training-on-cloud-computing/

--
Arun Tomar
CEO | Solution Enterprises | India | Pune