[PLUG] android bluetooth version support question

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Mon Nov 26 23:28:53 IST 2012

I have an old (well, not more than a couple of years) bluetooth headset,
which I find not working with a recent android phone.

The BT device spec says:
This device is compliant with Bluetooth Specification 2.1 + EDR supporting
the following profiles: Headset Profile 1.1 and Hands-Free Profile 1.5.

The phone runs android 4.x and its BT spec says:
v3, Supported Profiles (PBAP, PBA, A2DP, GAP, HFP, HSP, OPP, SPP, HID,
PAN, MAP)

So, seems these are not compatible (and some web searches vaguely suggest
3.0 is not backward compatible with 2.1).

<rant>Systematic nexus between hardware and software makers to render old
hardware obsolete so fast?</rant>

Now, shall I give up on this totally? Is the BT version embedded in
hardware or the OS can possibly support a different BT version with some
hacks. (I don't mind giving up 3.0 completely as this is the only BT
device I have.)

Mayuresh