[PLUG] Can I get these Linux capabilities on Android?

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Mon Oct 15 07:54:34 IST 2012

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 07:43:08PM +0530, Mehul Ved wrote:

> I didn't find it particularly useful. I do try to use it as and when
> possible but still prefer using my laptop. But, really depends on how
> deep you want to go with it. Quite a lot can be fiddled around with,
> especially after rooting.

My usage pattern is, if laptop is on, I'll prefer to do any work on the
mobile (administration, copying files to/from the device, playing
multimedia contents etc.) by sshing to it from laptop, for which I need
Linux-like environment on the phone.

A few odd times, if I have to use device UI for such things, I don't mind
using stock ui.  But there will always be some self written scripts etc
which would require a terminal on the device, unless I can create an icon
for short cut to literally everything - which is cumbersome.

An interesting thing will be to pick up or dial a phone call sitting at
the laptop using laptop's mic/speaker and mobile device's call network. Is
that feasible? If not directly feasible, can the calls be transferred
to/from a sip account so that they can be picked up from laptop?

Similarly about SMS, something like a command line utility on the laptop
should be able to send out SMS via the mobile device. I can do that on
N900.

Mayuresh.