[PLUG] [Bulk] [ talk ] [ discussion ] GNU/Linux Kernel - Internals - Anyone Interested?

Vatsala Dorairajan vatsala.lists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 13:44:54 IST 2012

On Saturday 01 September 2012 12:18 PM, Sunil Beta Baskar wrote:
> On 29 August 2012 23:09, Lalatendu Mohanty <then4way at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
>> On Tuesday 28 August 2012 07:47 AM, Sunil Beta Baskar wrote:
>>> After Neepen's talk I found that there is quite a lot of interest in
>>> knowing GNU/Linux Kernel Internals (Kernel internals, device drivers,
>>> design strategy, guidelines ...)
>>>
>>> I know a bit about how kernel design has been transforming from 2.4 to
>>> 3.5 and further.
>>> I can share this in a talk, keeping things simple to start with -
>>> giving everyone an overview of the subsystems and their current
>>> status.
>>> I have some prior work I can re-use (all Open/Shared).
>>>
>>> If anyone is interested in both sides (sharing with others, or
>>> learning [ I would like to understand a few pieces too ] ) do share
>>> what you would like to learn.
>>>
>>> Hoping to hear everyone's thoughts on this,
>>> Beta
>>> -
>>> sunilbetabaskar dot com slash contact dot html will show you I am not paranoid.

>> Sunil,
>>
>> I will strongly encourage you for the session. Learning about internals
>> is always interesting for newbie like me. A talk on  "how kernel design
>> has been transforming from 2.4 to 3.5 and further" also sounds interesting.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lalatendu Mohanty
> I would prefer to schedule it as three sessions to start -
> 1. Building the Linux Kernel [ -stable- 3.5.x ] - Kconfig/Kbuild for newbies
> 2. Linux Kernel architecture transition from 2.6 to 3.5
> 3. Linux Kernel architecture - overview of sub-systems - basic
> architecture for device drivers
>
> I shall need help to select the right schedule and place for each of
> the sessions.
>
> Beyond the 3rd session, people who are experts in various subsystems
> of the kernel could share more detailed information.
>
> Comments and ideas are welcome.
>
> Beta

Hi Beta(Since you sign your email that way)

This, I feel, is a very clean way of structuring this talk. I am
definitely interested to attend all the three parts. Keep all of us
posted on when this is going to happen.  Since I am relatively new to
Pune and dont know many people yet , I am unable to pitch in with
helping you find a suitable venue,etc... I hope someone will volunteer
for this and this talk will materialize.

Regards
Vatsala