[PLUG] Network Attached Storage - Linux experience

Vikas Damodar Garud vikas at techqual.com
Mon Sep 17 17:13:36 IST 2012

On Monday 17 Sep 2012 4:40:20 PM Arun Khan wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Vikas Damodar Garud <vikas at techqual.com>
wrote:
SNIP

> For a home grown solution search "Linux NAS" and one of the ref. links is
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network-attached_storage>
> that lists quite a few open source NAS solutions.
>
> IMO,  you should have done this in the first place.

Thanks for quick response.  I had seen through this link, and some more.
Sorry, I did not mention it in my mail.   However, they talk about running a
file server connected to network.  Whereas, the network storage drives (from
Seagate or Western Digital) connect to the router - all the hardware is
contained in the disk enclosure itself.  I was wondering if I can use the
same.

Looks like I need to use a old desktop as file server if I want to be certain
about storing and accessing my data from any connected devices.

Thanks once again for the help.

Vikas Garud