[PLUG] UNetBootIn Curieawcity...

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 12:09:42 IST 2013

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 9:53 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/05/2013 01:56 AM, Arun Khan wrote:
>>
>> Before the days of hybrid ISOs, unetbootin had it's usefulness.
>>
>> To my knowledge today, Debian, openSUSE, and the *buntu ISOs are
>> hybrid i.e. you can simple dd=ISO_file to a pendrive or a hard disk
>> and it will boot!   No need for unetbootin.
>

> Sort of.  If you want persistence or encryption or not want to allot the
> entire usb key to the distribution but preserve existing data, you still
> need a specialized tool.

With 4GB pen drives for approx. Rs 200, I have a couple of dispensable
sticks for install purposes.

> Tools also have additional built-in checks which
> are handy.  Many users run dd against the wrong device and end up losing
> data.

True, my own staff has done it :(   I make them pay for the data
recovery fees, it is amazing how quickly people learn not to make such
mistakes when it hits their pocket.

> Often distros themselves do provide such a tool however and it might
> be better to use that.

In the past I have tried unetbootin to create USB install images for
CentOS without much success.  Does the current version of unetbootin
do it?   Alternately, does RHEL/CentOS provide a similar tool in the
Live CD version?

--
Arun Khan
Sent from my non-iphone/non-android device