[PLUG] [OT] You broadband in Pune

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 11:15:17 IST 2013

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 10:01 PM, Mayuresh <mayuresh at acm.org> wrote:
> Saw a big advertisements in newspapers today for 50MBPS/50GB connection
> for around 2000/- pm by above ISP.

Is sure is a very tempting offer isn't it?   They advertise in Mumbai
Mirror regularly.  I wish they would spend the money in delighting the
customer.

Back in early 2005, the dawn of the 'broadband' era in India, YOU was
the only vendor in my neighborhood offering BB.
I seldom got the advertised speed of 256Kbps and on Sundays it was
worse than dial up speed.

I switched to MTNL @ 256Kbps when they were ready with ADSL infra for
my neighborhood.

> I am actually looking for an ISP with reliable connection with no
> downtime. Not so much interested in such a high speed.

'no downtime' (i.e. SLA with 100% up time) is a very high expectation.
 You will not get that with a leased line and *definitely* *not* with
consumer grade ADSL service.

Plan for redundancy if you want 100% up time.

I have MTNL and Tata Indicom ADSL service for this reason.   So far I
have been lucky that both of them have not been out of service @ same
time.

-- Arun Khan