[PLUG] [OT] You broadband in Pune

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Tue Mar 5 11:36:05 IST 2013

On Tue, Mar 05, 2013 at 11:15:17AM +0530, Arun Khan wrote:
> 'no downtime' (i.e. SLA with 100% up time) is a very high expectation.
>  You will not get that with a leased line and *definitely* *not* with
> consumer grade ADSL service.
>
> Plan for redundancy if you want 100% up time.
>
> I have MTNL and Tata Indicom ADSL service for this reason.   So far I
> have been lucky that both of them have not been out of service @ same
> time.

I have Tata Indicom and BSNL 3G as a backup for outage duration.

I am not sure about 100%, but Tata Indicom has been pretty smooth for me
for over a decade (from being erstwhile dishnet and then vsnl and so on).
(Some would say I was just lucky. So be it...)

Recently there have been issues of intermittent downtimes, sometimes
wiring level, sometimes at the backend level. So was thinking of
alternatives. Probably captioned one is not even worth a try.

Mayuresh