[PLUG] Why I won't be speaking at FOSSsumMIT 2104

Pirate Praveen pravi.a at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 15:29:23 IST 2014

> Folks,
>
> I was scheduled to give a talk at FOSSsumMIT 2104, but I was asked to use a Open
> Source License compliant operating system to give the talk. I have blogged about
> it in detail here -> http://adityalaghate.in/no-to-symbolism.html

I think the message of FOSS would be stronger if people who advocate
its use are using it themselves.

> The reason, I invoke this thread / discussion is that this happened to me at two
> conferences and the common denominator was PLUG. I used be an active member of
> the list in it's heydays.
>
> I have used linux as my primary operating system ever since Redhat 6 (prior to
> it being split into Fedora & RHEL). Used openSuse, debian & ubuntu over the
> years. About 3 years back I moved to using a macbook pro, running OS X.

I wish more people using Free Software understood the freedom aspect...

> This is
> my primary OS. I regularly work on projects, which utilise Linux based servers,
> so even today, I spent a good amount of time working with Linux.
>
> I am not a nerd or nor a geek, but somebody, who loves to play & experiment with
> technology.  Having spent a good amount of my time (close to 10-12 years) with
> Linux on various hardwares I am fully aware of the challenges the GNU/Linux
> ecosystem can throw at you. I used to love solving those challenges earlier. Now
> it just frustrates me.

Indeed this is really frustrating even after solving so many problems,
it is like a catch 22 situation. We made great progress in dual boot
option by allowing resize of existing partitions, allowing side by
side installations etc, and now Microsoft broke it with UEFI and
secure boot.

> Today, I prefer to work with a system that 'just works' & I can concentrate on
> utilising Open Source Licensed tool chains and applications to do my work.

It would be nice if you can come up with a list of things that don't
work for you. It would help us to fix those issues for everyone.

> I have not been able to understand the insistence by members of PLUG to use open
> source licensed OS for my presentation. My talk was titled, 'Data Analysis using
> Python & Pandas'.

It would create a bad impression on a FOSS conference to have to use
OS X to run a Python app.

If you ask for help porting your app, you may get some volunteers to
help you. If we know the library issues you are talking about, we may
be able to help you.

> If PLUG can make clear of it's stand it will be great.

This not an official statement of PLUG.

--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
You have to keep reminding your government that you don't get your rights