[PLUG] Why I won't be speaking at FOSSsumMIT 2104

Nishit Dave stargazer.dave at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 06:47:27 IST 2014

On Aug 12, 2014 1:51 AM, "Sudhanwa Jogalekar" <sudhanwa.com at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The conference being a FOSS conference, everything needs to be under
> FOSS. It is as simple as that.
>
> Well, there could be exceptions if the requirement of the topic needs
> non-FOSS stuff.
> Please note that PLUG's stand for FOSS still remains the same. I
> remember that in one of the Gnunify, I helped a speaker to change his
> presentation from windows-powerpoint to  Linux-Openoffice.

I find this stand that a speaker use only FOSS to give a presentation
hypocritical and puerile.

Isn't it more important for you to know if the speaker used FOSS to develop
something? For what it's worth, one could use proprietary tools all the
way, and then put screenshots in a presentation on LibreOffice to run on
someone's Ubuntu laptop?

I could add a car analogy here to belabour the point, but I think you'll
get it anyway.

Needless symbolism will be counterproductive to achieving your bigger
purpose. I hope this movement rises above dogmatism and judging personal
choices.

Oh, by the way, a helpful hint: if all you need is a presentation, ask the
speaker to convert it to a LibreOffice native format and mail it / bring it
on a pen drive, which can be read on whatever choice of OS that the
organisers have connected to the projector.

All the best.