[PLUG] Why I won't be speaking at FOSSsumMIT 2104

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 04:09:33 IST 2014

Hi

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 3:37 PM, Thin Rhino  wrote:

> Almost all people install various video codecs,
> which are also not open source.

I just wanted to quickly highlight this common misunderstanding.  Most if
not all multimedia codecs in Linux are available under regular open source
licenses such as BSD or GPL.  Some of them are potentially patent
encumbered but unlike copyright licenses,  patents don't necessarily have
uniform enforcement or authority.  Regardless of the applicability of
patents, they are still very much Free and open source.

Rahul