[Plug-mail] [SOLVED} writing to sdcard on android [Was Re:Any 10" tablets with root...]

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Sat Feb 28 19:52:45 IST 2015

On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 03:26:52PM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 12:57:59PM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
> > May be rooting the device will provide some way.
>
> Trying my luck. Can connect with the device from debian using adb. Where
> on earth do I find this "su" binary to copy to the device?

Gave up on rooting. I can find out some arbitrary copies of "su" binary
floating on the web, and a no of super-user (or named alike) "apps", none
of which either work with the su, nor they are able to update that su.
(Yes I know I need to copy them in /system/app. I did that, rebooted
countless times, trial after trial - just in case.)

Android, you suck.

However I solved my sdcard write permission problem by "Editing" (i.e. adb
pull, modify and adb push) a permissions file. The hint was found in
documentation of an "app" called SDFix (which by itself would have needed
a rooted device).

Ironically, from a computer you can get root access using adb, but adb on
the device itself does not let you connect with itself.

This is all ugly, ugly design ... At least above choice has nothing
whatsoever to do with usability, security for non tech users.

There are zillions of threads cursing android for the sdcard-write mess,
but not one of them gave such a simple answer, not even in Linux forums.

Anyway, won't think much about it, as long as I can now rsync to my
sdcard.

Mayuresh.