[PLUG] Good 20K Laptops for LAMP based web development

Gaurav Pant gauravggs at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 14:31:42 IST 2015

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 5:36 PM, Sudhanwa Jogalekar <sudhanwa.com at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 4:30 PM, G Karunakar <indlinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 11:40 AM, Gaurav Pant <gauravggs at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> Hello people,
> >>
> >> I am looking forward to buying laptops around 20K. The online shopping
> sites
> >> are having many of them having AMD Kabini processor having speeds of 1
> GHz
> >> to 1.5 GHz.
> >>
> >> Also loads of P4 and Celeron dual core stuff is out there.
> >>
> >> What are your reviews if you have used the same.
> >>
> >> My main purpose will be Running a LAMP set-up (XFCE type desktop).
> (MySQL
> >> and Apache will be started when needed).
> >>
> >> Majority of the time it will be a Mozilla Firefox with around 5-8 tabs
> open.
> >>
> >> considering a laptop life of around 3 years (any thing more than that
> will
> >> be bonus period) I am not interested in spending any more than 20-22K
> INR.
> >>

> > I have Thinkpad x120e (11.6" screen) which has AMD APU E350 (low end
> > compared to Kabini ones), with 4GB RAM. Found this good enough for
> > multi purpose use, doing all above without much of cpu load factor.
> > Any dual core cpu or APU outperforming a E350 , I would say is worth
> > it.
> >
> > Online shopping sites give you enough to sort the models, but some
> suggestions:
> >  - see that you can add more ram (there should be extra slot - some
> > sub 20K ones have only 1 slot and not configurable)
> >  - 6 cell battery
> >  - HDD replacable - ie you can change without voiding warranty. You
> > may later want to put in a SSD which will easily double the speed.
> >  - if possible screen size 14" or less
> >  - would be bonus if it has USB 3.0 ports.
> >
> > Karunakar
>
> Even though you may not require virtualisation today, that could be a
> requirement anytime soon.
> Consider a machine that can give you Virtualisation facilities. The
> machines mentioned here may not provide the same. The price will also
> increase accordingly.

I was looking at few laptop models and there a lots of Pentium Quad Core
models.  I checked at intel website and these are supposedly new series of
Pentium processors. I could also see that it supports virtualisation
(Vtx).  here is a link to compare a i3 and PQC
http://ark.intel.com/compare/82105,81018,75107

Can any one point out why this processor (PQC) will not be good enough for
a regular desktop/internet browsing etc work.
Also how does not having hyper-threading effects efficiency of using Linux
on the same.

--
Gaurav Pant