[PLUG] PLUG meeting washed out due to unseasonal rains

Thin Rhino thinrhino at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 09:48:21 IST 2015

On 11 October 2015 at 11:12, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <
sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 7:20 PM, shirish <shirish at hamaralinux.org> wrote:
> > we discussed about the immense knowledge gap about FOSS in India among
other
> > things.
>
> What were the salient points of the discussion?

I have never understood the noise around <My>Linux & <Your>Linux! I visited
their websites and the only thing,
different is screenshots with Indian Languages. Everything else, is just
the same that comes with Ubuntu or Fedora.
Same old open office, same old GNome / KDE.

As I see this, take source code from the web compile it, re-brand it and
gloat about it is made in/for India etc.

I would rather have you good people spend time & effort in distributing
Ubuntu or Fedora or any other OS to
people and teach people to write good code using these tools. Who cares,
what OS you are using?

You want to stop Facebook Zero and all that? Get people to access the
internet and show them the power of
free and open source, not by distributing some customised copy of Linux.
But by showing how, the free and
open web and free and open tools, can help them live a better life.

In 2015, writing / rewriting / re branding an OS is biggest waste of time,
effort, talent and money.

You want to spread FOSS, build something like this
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4hVG2Br1W1LKCmw8nSm9WnQ/introducing-the-bbc-micro-bit
and educate people how programming using open source tools can be fun.

Cheers

--
"Ship is safe at harbor but it is not made for that."