[PLUG] PLUG meeting washed out due to unseasonal rains

Vikas Tara vik at hamaralinux.org
Mon Oct 12 20:51:42 IST 2015

On 12/10/15 05:18, Thin Rhino wrote:

> On 11 October 2015 at 11:12, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay
> <sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
> <mailto:sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 7:20 PM, shirish <shirish at hamaralinux.org
> <mailto:shirish at hamaralinux.org>> wrote:
> > > we discussed about the immense knowledge gap about FOSS in India
> among other
> > > things.
> >
> > What were the salient points of the discussion?
>
> I have never understood the noise around <My>Linux & <Your>Linux! I
> visited their websites and the only thing,
> different is screenshots with Indian Languages. Everything else, is
> just the same that comes with Ubuntu or Fedora.
> Same old open office, same old GNome / KDE.
Look just a little deeper though - well the message on the homepage -
the bit that says "more than an operating system"

> As I see this, take source code from the web compile it, re-brand it
> and gloat about it is made in/for India etc.
>
> I would rather have you good people spend time & effort in
> distributing Ubuntu or Fedora or any other OS to
> people and teach people to write good code using these tools. Who
> cares, what OS you are using?
I care a lot - I want an OS that caters for my needs and I want to run
it on hardware that I own. For me that's sufficient reason to go to the
effort of working on the distro.

> You want to stop Facebook Zero and all that? Get people to access the
> internet and show them the power of
> free and open source, not by distributing some customised copy of
> Linux. But by showing how, the free and
> open web and free and open tools, can help them live a better life.
Yeah - we're on the same page here then.

See:

hamara linux on arm with solar
https://twitter.com/hamaralinux/status/527811768643751938

long range wifi
https://twitter.com/hamaralinux/status/566171467055124480
https://twitter.com/hamaralinux/status/566171467055124480

and where the only distro to ship with diaspora. Oh and we host it too:
https://diasp.in/

> In 2015, writing / rewriting / re branding an OS is biggest waste of
> time, effort, talent and money.
I beg to differ, we have a lot of people contributing to something here
that may not have otherwise done so - and we're not just re branding an OS.

> You want to spread FOSS, build something like this
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4hVG2Br1W1LKCmw8nSm9WnQ/introducing-the-bbc-micro-bit
> and educate people how programming using open source tools can be fun.
Like the schools we are helping with an arm based rpi 2 school room?
They need out of the box systems running with the packages that satisfy
the Indian school curriculum. Raise a bug on Ubuntu for that and see
what happens.
https://twitter.com/hamaralinux/status/576433652873195520

So, as I said, more than an operating system. That's why people spend
their valuable time on it - and if it feels worthwhile to anyone, then
that's reason enough.