[PLUG] Need help in choosing new laptop for Linux use.

Sudhanwa Jogalekar sudhanwa.com at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 20:54:49 IST 2016

Hi,

Reasonably good configuration (core i3, 2-4gb, 500 gb-1tb) laptops are
available for about 25-35k. You can get freedos with them.

If you want higher end machine, go for Lenevo/HP/Dell.

Before buying, check hardware devices from the specs and see compatibility
with your favourite distro. Most of the latest distros do have support for
the current devices.

Don't count on your vendor for any Linux support. Do it on your own or
through forums like PLUG.

Regards
-Sudhanwa

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 10:31 AM, Atul Sowani <sowani at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to buy a laptop for me, preferably with Linux pre-installed (Ubuntu
> seems to be most popular, though I am a slackware user). HP used to have 4
> models with pre-installed Linux, however it appears that they have
> discontinued their support for Linux (and those 4 models). There are few
> options offered by Dell, but the hardware configuration they offer is
> pathetic (don't have HDMI port, and just 1 USB 3.0 port). So far my
> searches have yielded no success in finding a good laptop with
> pre-installed Linux. I considered option of buying HP laptops with FreeDOS
> and then installing Linux (Ubuntu primarily), but google search tells me
> that there are issues with wireless card support in those laptops for
> Linux. So this option looks risky to me.
>
> Does anyone has any suggestions, specific models which are known to have
> good Linux compliance?
>
> Thanks,
> Atul.

web: www.sudhanwa.com  blog: www.sudhanwa.in
Twitter: sudhanwa Check on FB, Linkedin for more.